August 24, 2018 – Maine residents can soon apply for LIHEAP heating assistance. Initial appointments are booked for households with vulnerable populations and who were approved last year whose heat is not included in the rental costs.
If applicants meet these requirements, they will be mailed a yellow appointment card that gives them priority in the application process.
It is important that anyone applying for LIHEAP assistance remember to bring the following items when apply:
1. The primary applicant (the person applying), if available, will need to provide a valid, non-expired photo ID such as a Driver’s License, State Issued ID Card, Passport, SNAP/EBT Photo ID, or US Military Photo ID Card.
2. Social Security Cards & dates of birth for all household members.
3. A physical copy of your most recent electric bill.
4. A copy of your fuel bill with name and account number.
5. A copy of a current lease, including the name, street address, and phone number of your landlord if you are renting.
6. Proof of all gross income for all household members for the previous 3 months OR previous 12 months, not including the month of your appointment.
7. Additional document including but not limited to: proof of all interest income, general assistance, school loans or grants, child support, TANIF, and notes of support from anyone who assisted you or your household with dollar amount of assistance for the same time frame as your gross income.
8. If you are the guardian for a client, you will need to provide Guardianship Documents at the time of your appointment and the Guardian’s Photo ID. The client does not need to be present
These tips are provided by Penquis.org.
For more information on specific LIHEAP heating-season dates in your state, visit the LIHEAP Clearinghouse here.