CURRENT PROGRAMS Rate Assistance
- Residential Assistance Discount (RAD)
- Pepco RAD customers receive a 55 percent discount on the first 400 kWhs in the summer months (June - October) and a 41 percent discount on the first 400 kWhs in the winter months (November - May). Eligible all-electric customers receive a 40 percent discount on the first 700 kilowatt-hours used in the winter months and a 50 percent discount on the first 700 kilowatt-hours used in the summer months.
- LIHEAP Expansion and Energy Education
- An addition to the current LIHEAP program that includes bill payment assistance and educates residents about other energy efficiency programs. These funds enable additional eligible households to receive a LIHEAP benefit.
- Residential Essential Service (RES)
- The RES discount rate is available from November through March for qualified Washington Gas customers. The discount is based on household size and income level and ranges from $213 to $276 per year.
- RES Expansion and Awareness Program
- A bill assistance program for gas customers with the goal of increasing RES participation by 30 percent.
- Comprehensive Low-Income Multifamily Initiative
- Rehabilitation projects that provide air-sealing and insulation, improved windows and upgrades to mechanical and lighting systems.
- Low-Income Multifamily Direct Product Installation
- Low-income households received energy-saving lighting and hot water products.
- Single Family Low-Income Services
- Low-income households received air and duct sealing, insulation and heating systems.
- Solar Advantage Program
- Low-income units received solar PV systems and/or solar hot water systems.
- Food Banks
- Distributed energy-efficient light bulbs to clients.
- Pepco (electric)
- Washington Gas
Annual Funding (2015)
- RAD: $4.8 million
- RAD Expansion:$44,054
- LIHEAP Expansion and Energy Education: $1.75 million
- RES Expansion: $105,689
- Energy Efficiency: $5.9 million
- Multifamily Initiatives
- Single Family Initiatives and Solar Advantage Program
Households Served (2015)
- RAD: 17,216
- RAD Expansion: NA
- LIHEAP Expansion and Energy Education: 15,556
- RES: 7,150
- RES Expansion: 5,380
- Energy Efficiency
- Multifamily Initiatives: 3,245
- Single Family Initiatives and Small Scale Solar: 29
- RAD, LIHEAP Expansion, RES and RES Expansion: Non-bypassable assessment on natural gas and electric sales amounting to $.006 per therm for gas and 0.159 mills per kWh from electric sales-applied to the sale of every kilowatt hour and therm in the District except sales to residents participating in the RAD and RES programs.
- Single Family and Multifamily Energy Efficiency: Non-bypassable monthly surcharge assessed on Pepco and Washington Gas ratepayers (except those participating in RAD and RES programs,) natural gas customers were assessed $0.014. The surcharge for electric customers is assessed at $0.0015.
Administration District Department of the Environment, the LIHEAP grantee and WAP grantee LEGISLATION Authorizing Other Important REPORTS / EVALUATIONS